Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Changelings Review


 **REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS**'

Summary:

Jayne Sparks, a potty mouth teenager runs away to Florida with her best friend Tony.  While roaming through the city, the two friends encounter Jared who invites them to join his group of runaways.  Here they meet Becky, Samantha, Flynn, Spike, and Chase.  To earn some extra money, the group decided to join an invitation to be part of a study.  Little did they know that this study would change their lives forever.  Along with her new found friends, Jayne will discover a new world that they never thought existed.  They will venture out into a magical forest, meet magical creatures and discover their own powers. 

My Thoughts:

Oddly Addictive and I don't know why. 

I was really looking forward to reading this book for several reasons.  First, because it involved fey (which is one of the fantasy characters I enjoy the most), secondly, because of the great reviews and ratings that I've seen from many readers. Sadly, it was not my cup of tea. 

I loved the whole concept of the story which was very different from others that I've read.   In this book, fairies are depicted as many different types such as Gnomes, Incubus, Elves, Water Sprites, and etc.  Similar to other Fey stories, there's a war between the dark and light feys.  Due to this brewing war, each side are trying to recruit humans who may have traces of fey in their blood line.  Jayne and her group of friends were recruited through the advertised study that they decided to join in.  They had to go through interviews and tests before they were selected as good candidates.  As their final tests, they were asked to venture out into this forest and those who reaches the end passes the test.  In this forest, the group discovers many creatures that they've never encountered before. 

One of the things that put me off about the whole book was that I found the writing style very "choppy".  Most of the time, I had to skim through the book to avoid this which also made it difficult for me to connect with the characters.  In addition, I had a difficult time loving the heroine, Jayne.  I liked her head strong character but I think it was a little too much for me.  I didn't like that she was too much of a potty mouth.  I like my heroines with some kind of class and having her cursing left right and center makes it quite difficult to imagine her with some class.  Instead, I kept imagining her like some little brat.  I also found that Jayne's attraction to Spike's teeth and smile was quite odd.

Personally, I found that the book was lacking that emotional aspect that I look for in a book. I would have thought that finding out about Jayne's history with her stepfather would be more heart wrenching but the way that it was written didn't make it so.  When I read the book, I felt like I was listening to someone talk in a monotonous manner.  I like stories where there are a lot of "roller coaster rides" but I didn't find it here. 

I did find it oddly addictive because I convinced my self to move on to the next installment.  I found myself looking forward to what will happen next.

For this book, I will give a rating of............

                         Rating: 3/5

 


                         

No comments:

Post a Comment